Friday, February 27, 2009

Hands off the Merchandise

You are gonna love this one!
A co-worker, lets call her Cali, told me this story the other day. I unfortunately was not able to see this, but I did hear her yelling from across the store.

It was on a Sunday, and Sue was there with me. This typical Wisconsinite mother came up to the counter: curly, permed, bouffant hair, ghetto fake nails, pancake makeup...with New Balance tennis shoes and a turtleneck under a crew sweater.

She had purchased a robe in November of last year and wanted a refund on it- the receipt read that she had used a H* (store credit card). I asked for her card, and she said, "I paid for that in cash,"

"No, the receipt says 'H* Charge card,"

"Well, I want cash for it."

"I am sorry, our policy is to return the item back to the card."

...

I was busy processing the return, and she interrupted me.

"Well, then what the Hell happens if it is a zero balance?"

"The company will issue you a check based on the credit to your account."

She said nothing further, I gave her the receipt, and she went on her way.

...

About five minutes later, she came back.

"I want to speak to a manager."

"About what?"

"Does it matter? I want a manager."

"Yes it matters, if I can fix it."

"I want store credit. I talked to someone down there, and she said I could have store credit if I didn't have a card or receipt."

"Ma'am, you had the receipt. And you put it on a charge."

"YOU DIDN'T TELL ME ALL OF MY OPTIONS."

"No one has ever wanted a merchandise credit in place of the money being accredited back to the account!"

"Well, I want store credit."

This went back and forth for a few rounds, and I was steadily loosing my temper more and more. Sue tried to step in because of how bad she was yelling at me, and at one point, after explaining our policy for a third time, I took off my glasses and looked down at the counter.

She reached across the counter with her nasty-ass fucking nails, and grabbed me by the collar, propped my face up, and said, "Look at me," in a really shitty tone.

I lost my cool. I took a step back, help up my hand, and said, "Ma'am, you need to calm the fuck down."

I got Sue to post void the transaction.
Gave her a store credit (which she could only spend in the store, instead of getting a check issued to her by the company which she could deposit and spend as she wished).
Told her in the most monotone voice I could muster, "You have a nice day."

*Oh retail..what a joy..and on the Day of the Lord..

1 comment:

~Theresa~ said...

You should check out this blog.

Notalwaysright.com

It is a million storys like that. Check it out